Licensed as an Enrolled Agent

I’m proud to be an Enrolled Agent (EA), a federally licensed tax practitioner empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service.

As an EA, I can represent taxpayers in all proceedings before the IRS, including tax return audits, collection actions, tax refund matters, and appeals.

EAs are America's tax experts

Right now, the law allows anyone to prepare a tax return for a fee.

However, as the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) points out, “Only Enrolled Agents are required to demonstrate to the IRS their competence in all areas of taxation, representation and ethics before they are given unlimited representation rights before IRS. Unlike attorneys and CPAs, who are state licensed and who may or may not choose to specialize in taxes, all enrolled agents specialize in taxation. Registered tax return preparers have passed a minimal competence test on tax forms for individuals, and have only limited representation rights.”

To keep my license current, I am required to complete a minimum of 30 hours of continuing education in taxation, each year.

Many years of tax specialization

After having served as a Tax Principal of one of the “Big 8” CPA firms for ten years, I founded my own accounting firm in 1980.

My company, M. Reffsin & Co., a 14-member firm, specialized in servicing medium to large businesses, as well as high net worth individuals. Our key emphasis always was helping our clients understand how their tax liabilities would be affected by business activities and financial decisions—and to help them minimize their taxes.